School of Business and Enterprise in Partnership with The Oak Tree Inn has an exciting opportunity in Loch Lomond.
Business Development Project Manager (KTP Associate) REQ000569
- Up to £30,000 per annum
- 30 Month fixed term post with potential for permanent employment;
- £5k personal development budget;
- Opportunity to register for a Higher Degree at no cost;
- Chartered Management Institute (level 5) training in Management;
- Apply your degree, lead your own project and gain practical management experience;
- Work with senior company management to realise benefits to the business
The School of Business and Enterprise at UWS is well established and an internationally recognised academic centre.
The Oak Tree Inn has evolved over the last 20-years to become the largest business and most important local employer on the Eastern side of Loch Lomond National Park and the Fraser family have been instrumental in the rejuvenation of the local village of Balmaha, now seen as a top tourist destination within the National Park. Having now established the Oak Tree brand, the partners are now looking to expand the business both locally and at other locations within the National Park; and you will be directly involved in the plans to triple turnover by 2025. In addition to the main Oak Tree Inn business, the company is involved in the current manufacturing of ice cream production, coffee roasting, a smokehouse operation and artisan products. As the wholesale and retail opportunities develop these will also contribute significantly to the future turnover.
This is a unique opportunity to work in one of Scotland’s internationally renowned areas of outstanding natural beauty; to work in a dynamic University-business partnership; and to be part of a high-performing and very exciting, dynamic management team.
The opportunities for local hillwalking, water based activities, cycling etc are significant. The business supports staff to make the most of the beautiful work location through the provision of paddle boards, canoes, bikes etc. In addition there may be subsidised accommodation depending on requirements, with access to local schools for families looking for a lifestyle change.
University of the West of Scotland (UWS) and The Oak Tree Inn are offering an exciting opportunity to a graduate in Business/Tourism/Leisure or with a relevant degree involving a significant amount of relevant business experience. The post is a 30-month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) project between the company and UWS, and has the potential for permanent employment.
The successful candidate will be an integral member of the management team and will be instrumental in realising their exciting plans for business growth, achieved by enhancing the team’s approach to strategic management development, planning and decision making, to implement organisational and cultural change and to build business resilience.
This position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) funded by Innovate UK. It’s essential you understand how KTP works with business and the University, and the vital role you will play if you successfully secure a KTP Associate position. Please visit: www.ktpws.org.uk
The successful candidate must have:
- Minimum MSc in a Management related area, or exceptionally a MBA or a Bachelors in a business related qualification with a demonstrable record of experience in the tourism and/or hospitality sectors.
- Desirable if membership of relevant professional organisation (e.g. CMI, IoH, BHA, ITT)
Essential skills we require include the following:
- Strong background in tourism/leisure/hospitality evidenced by qualifications and/or experience.
- Understanding of the dynamics and challenges of the tourism and hospitality industry and growing a SME.
- Well-developed project management and research organisational skills.
- Strong numerical, analytical and data handling skills.
- Ability to carry out project costing and to compare alternatives based on costs and other factors.
- Expertise in writing and preparation of reports and business cases.
- Ability to deliver results in a highly dynamic organisation under tight schedules.
- Ability to work independently
If you have questions about this vacancy contact:
T: Mr Ron Livingstone, 0141 848 3863
Further information, including full description of the job and person specification and details of how to apply, is available at http://www.uws.ac.uk/about-uws/jobs
Closing date: 4thJune 2018, Interviews: Week commencing 18thJune 2018
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520